Nautical has a reputation for being overly preppy, but we’re here to tell you to forget everything you know about seaside-inspired style, because there are plenty of ways to channel your inner mariner without looking like you’re headed to the yacht club. Keeping nautical style feeling fresh and chic is all about embracing unexpected hues (think: cobalt blue instead of navy, rich burgundy for red, etc.), of-the-moment silhouettes and, of course, a few fashion-forward accessories. Don’t believe us? Here’s the proof.
1. Studio NY Tank Jumpsuit ($210): A seaside staple in the pre-war period, onesies have certainly evolved over the years. This sustainable design plays off that classic piece and pairs perfectly with menswear-inspired flats.
2. Mango Double-Breasted Wool Coats for Women ($190): Skip the peacoat this fall and opt instead for an oversized, double-breasted number that's fit for a captain.
3. Topshop Cropped Palazzo Pants ($105): Sailor pants with a glam '70s flair, these cabernet-colored palazzos need a spot in your nine-to-five rotation.
4. Madewell Sleeveless Tunic Sweater ($72): We love a good fisherman's sweater, but this trimmed version is the ultimate layering piece.
5. H&M Sleeveless Turtleneck Womens Tank Tops ($10): Sailor stripes step up their game with a sleeveless turtleneck silhouette that makes the ideal mate for everything from button-front skirts to wide-leg pants.
6. Zara Cropped Trousers ($50): White trousers are an essential component to any seaside ensemble, and the onset of fall doesn't mean they should get banished to the back of the closet. For the new season, embrace heavier fabrics and trendy cropped silhouettes, then style with snazzy ankle boots. Our personal faves? Suede and python.
7. The Fifth Label Constellation Cheap Bodycon Dresses ($80): A sleek midi silhouette and strategically laid panels give this striped number a modern edge.
8. Zara Crop Top ($30): A nod to a traditional striped sailor top, this cropped number has a subtle '70s flair with a smattering of colorful stripes.